Monday, June 6, 2011

So not Martha Stewart

I used to love watching her.  She was the goddess of all things crafty.  Then, I grew up and realized that I'm not a full time homemaker and I don't have a full staff at my disposal.  So, I muddle along the best I can.  I really enjoy reading Ree Drumond's blog, but again, I'm not a full time homemaker with a handy man at my disposal.  My husband is great, but he grew up on a boat, not in a house.  Also, he has no desire to work in the yard/garden.  I won't force that on him, either.

Today I potted a bunch of plants.  I like the idea of container gardening.  It's not permanent, you can prevent weeds much easier.  You can start very small and grow.  So, I have flowers and herbs in small pots. 


 I bought some big plastic tubs at WalMart and punched holes in the bottoms.  Nothing fancy.  I just grabbed a screwdriver and made holes.  Lots of them all over the bottoms of the pots.  I am seeing how old plastic pots work as drainage.  You know the cheap plastic that the flowers come in?  I used to save those in the garage thinking that some day I would start seeds in them. Not so much.  I mostly just stacked them.  Today I threw a ton of them into the big blue tubs.  I put the empty tubs on top of some leftover flagstones, filled with dirt, and added plants.  I'm curious to see how they grow.  I have a beefsteak tomato, a grape tomato, a yellow pear tomato, eggplant, and golden pepper planted.  I'm hoping that it isn't too much for the tubs.  They are really big, but it could be too much.  I also hope that they get enough sun next to the garage.  If not, we'll be moving them...all 120 pounds of dirt and plastic. 
I'm curious to see what will happen.  I'm also pretty sure the girls will adore watering the plants and watching things grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment